[postgis-devel] Updated SVN documentation

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Aug 22 10:26:07 PDT 2008

Mark,

I made some changes based on your input.  Feel free to correct anywhere I went wrong.
Admittedly I'm very new to Linux and a lot of commands are still cryptic to me.  A lot of the instructions I curled from the PostGIS thread.

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2008-August/020746.html

And I liked them - whether right or wrong - because they required very little thought on my part, didn't require searching the web to figure out where do I get geos, or proj or whatever
and of course they worked for me :).

I'm still in a bit of disagreement of the hard-coding of links to dependencies.

On the one hand I see your point, but on the other hand - my thinking is the relationship between the proj, postgis, and geos camps is very close that we can easily correct any links that are broken and people can easily do a google to find a broken link or submit a bug to complain.

I think the convenience of having the link right there and ability to copy and paste is useful and the statement that - for x version of PostGIS, these are the preferred versions of these packages to use.

Thanks,
Regina