[postgis-devel] WKT Raster project: call for fundings

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Dec 4 03:21:28 PST 2008

Hi all,

As some of you may know, I've been working the past two years
on the GNU Flash Player [1], something I've felt the need for
since I've been doing flash maps for a few years w/out a fully
free stack supporting the result (playback).

Now Gnash is good enough for use when authors are willing to
target it, and sponsorship reduced, so I'm back
lurking in the GIS field.

Doing so, I've found the new WKT-raster thread started
by Pierre Racine [2] and tought that's something I might be
available to work on, given enough fundings can be found.

The first steps in that direction would be:

 - Define a new RASTER postgresql type.
 - Implement canonical input and output SQL routines.
 - Implement an importer producing a table
   of RASTER tiles from a single raster file.
 - Implement an SQL aggregate to return a jpeg from a set.
 - Overlap operator and simple inspectors (bounds, pixels,
   bands, sizes).

I'm working with Pierre to further refine those steps,
but you get the idea. It would take about 6 months
to complete the whole set, for an ideal target of 30K EUR.

  So, who's interested in (co)funding the work ?

I've a partial contribution, but would need 10x more to go.
Let's see if the PostGIS community can do it again [3]
( and better this time :)

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash
[2] http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2008-July/020486.html
[3] http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2005/10/concurrency-for-postgis.html