[postgis-devel] CLUSTER in 8.3

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Sun Dec 7 12:36:14 PST 2008

Just filed a bug report about this.  I'm convinced its something that is real and should be fixed right away since it means possible loss of data.  I was successful in recreating the issue with Kevin's example finally (well I guess misery loves company).

Bug report is :Clustering on GIST INDEX clobbers records in table intermittently
(observed on 8.3.5 installs)
--Reference number: 4567

This doesn't always happen to me but does intermittently, and for others it happens all the time.  Several of us have tried to recreate the issue.  For me it happens once in a while on EL 4, 8.3.5 install.  We have confirmed it happens on all GIST type indexes.

We have not noticed this problem prior to 8.3.5  -- checkout this thread for details.
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2008-December/004284.html

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2008-December/004275.html

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2008-December/004283.html

To recreate:
1) restart your postgresql service
2) run below

test=# create temp table tmp as select st_makepoint(random(), random()) as the_geom from generate_series(1, 10000);
SELECT
test=# create index tmp_geom_idx on tmp using gist (the_geom);
CREATE INDEX
test=# analyze tmp;
ANALYZE
test=# select count(*) from tmp;
  count
-------
  10000
(1 row)

test=# cluster tmp using tmp_geom_idx;
CLUSTER
test=# analyze tmp;
ANALYZE
test=# select count(*) from tmp;
  count
-------
      0
(1 row)

Running the same exercise for me on 8.3.1 always seems to work correctly as far as I can tell.