[postgis-devel] Location Of LWAlgorithms

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Dec 26 02:00:45 PST 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> I really like the naming convention idea but as far as bunching up I'm
> almost thinking GASP - a separate file for each public function, a file
> for shared functions that are reused across but not public.  like an
> lwsimplify.c kind of like we have lwgeom_kml.c, lwgeom_transform.c, in
> the lwgeom folder.   But I guess that could  become silly given the
> number of functions we have.

-100

I think if we did this the maintenance overhead of liblwgeom would
quadruple overnight as we'd have to spend considerably more time
managing header files.

> I guess my thinking is in mapserver there is a natural workflow.
> Everything is working to make a map and every element in the mapserver
> hierarchy plays a fairly unique well-defined role where as in PostGIS,
> there is no defined workflow to my knowledge and each geometry plays the
> same role - to be stuffed in a meat grinder device of sorts.

+100

In Mapserver, the code layout is strongly influenced by its object
hierarchy. And as you correctly point out, PostGIS really has no such
concept.

ATB,

Mark.

--