[postgis-devel] ST_Area, ST_Area2D

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Jul 18 10:27:38 PDT 2008

Okay so we document all 3 variants or 2 variants (and if 2 which to keep ST_Length2D() or ST_Length())

ST_Length2D(), ST_Length3D()

Almost seems as if ST_length() should return 2D length for a 2D line and 3D length for a 3d line (which would suggest mapping it to the ST_Length3D(), but I guess that may violate OGC specs but all docs I have read seem vague on the matter.  We don't even have these listed as OGC compliant but all Spatial Dbs seem to have it but don't seem to discuss distinction between 2D and 3D).  Although its not documented at all so I suppose we can leave as such.

But that is inconsistent with our documenting all 3 variants of Perimeter
ST_perimeter(geometry)
Returns the 2-dimensional perimeter of the geometry, if it is a polygon or multi-polygon.

ST_perimeter2d(geometry)
Returns the 2-dimensional perimeter of the geometry, if it is a polygon or multi-polygon.

ST_perimeter3d(geometry)
Returns the 3-dimensional perimeter of the geometry, if it is a polygon or multi-polygon.