[postgis-devel] Nice diagrams

Gustavo Henrique Sberze Ribas gribas at cpqd.com.br
Mon Jul 21 07:14:17 PDT 2008

Hi,

> Do you have a sense about 1) the easiest way to generate styled svg
> from postgis AsSvg(), and 2) if there are any limitations to consider

> when using linked svg files within the Docbook PDF output?

 1. PostGIS returns only the path element, so you'll have to add all
other elements. I guess a template file and some script language is the
way to go.

 2. I dunno, but I've found a site saying that "SVG is an open standard
and works well with XSL-FO processors and PDF output."
 [http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SVGimages.html]

> My IE7 just displays it as xml.  Firefox seems to load it fine.

  For IE you'll have to download Adobe's SVG viewer, but I don't
recommend
that (nor IE).

> Does inkscape save to postscript?

  It can save to PS, EPS, ODG, EPS, PDF and EMF but the drop shadow
effect
is lost.

  So, the proposal is to store the basic drawing in a SVG file
and them use image magick to add effects and create EPS and PNG for PDF
and
web respectively ?

Regards,
Gustavo