[postgis-devel] flex problems on RHEL 5.1

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jul 25 04:26:36 PDT 2008

  From: Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway <Jorgen.Austvik at Sun.COM>
  Subject: [postgis-devel] flex problems on RHEL 5.1

  -       $(LEX) -Plwg_parse_yy -i -f -o 'lex.yy.c' wktparse.lex
  +       $(LEX) -Plwg_parse_yy -i -f -o'lex.yy.c' wktparse.lex

This might be a difference between traditional BSD flex and GNU flex.
On my NetBSD 4 system the system flex is 2.5.4, and the man page says
-ofile, with no space.  I also have 2.5.35 installed (the GNU version),
and that man page says

       -o, --outfile=FILE
              specify output filename

which implies that "-o lex.yy.c" or --outfile=lex.yy.c" are ok.
However, testing GNU flex shows that -ofoo works.

Why don't we just accept the default of lex.yy.c and not put it in the
Makefile at all?  Both traditional BSD and GNU flex document that the
output goes to lex.yy.c.

(In case it's not totally obvious, I recently had flex compatibility
issues in another area.)

What version of flex do you have?