[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] create tables smarter

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 08:38:15 PDT 2008

Tom Lane wrote:

> If you go with the typmod implementation, might it be possible to
> turn GEOMETRY_COLUMNS into a read-only view on the system catalogs?
> Then it wouldn't need any clean-up.  It's not clear to me whether
> GEOMETRY_COLUMNS is supposed to carry any information that wouldn't
> be available from the typmod tags.

Yup indeed. The idea of this discussion is to see if we can actually get
to the point where we can do this to save people having to manually
having to touch geometry_columns if they update SRIDs etc.  This is
because the OGC standard mandates that this is where applications should
look to locate geometric tables and their associated metadata.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland