[postgis-devel] Valid SRIDs

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Jun 26 10:55:50 PDT 2008

Markus,

* Markus Schaber (schabi at logix-tt.com) wrote:
> Stephen Frost <sfrost at snowman.net> wrote:
> > On the other hand, I do feel differently about ST_AddGeometryColumns(),
> > and wouldn't be against adding a check in that function, possibly
> > capable of being overriden.  Adding such a check there strikes me as
> > less 'invasive' if you will, though if we add it there and people start
> > to depend on it, they'll be upset if we yank it out later when we move
> > to using user-defined typmods...
>
> We can always check inside ST_AddGeometryColumn(), whether the
> implementation uses geometry_columns or typemod.

That's a good point.  An issue there would be the inconsistancy of the
checking, but, honestly, I'm on the fence about if that's really a bad
thing or not.  It would allow us to reload the data using regular
pg_dump syntax, etc, and still do the checking for applications which
are using the standard interfaces.

	Thanks!

		Stephen