[postgis-devel] about interger storage

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Mon May 5 08:59:12 PDT 2008

Why do you think integer storage will provide better accuracy,
integrity, and speed?

- accuracy is a function of your data
- if you are concerned about *precision*, then just having the database
automatically force everything into a fixed precision model doesn't
really address all concerns. You really need to round your data
yourself, and deal explicitly with any data collapse issues
- speed - well, in theory yes, since you are shipping half the data over
the wire. But have you measured this? There's a lot more involved than
raw wire speed.

A major downside of integer storage IMO is the need to specify your data
extent explicity up front. And the need to constantly transform between
integer and the external coordinate system (in floating point) is a
major pain.