[postgis-devel] Impatient on 1.3.4

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 06:04:34 PST 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:
> Mark,
>
> How much effort is it to get 1.3.4 to compile on 8.4.  Given that
> compiled betas are already out for 8.4, it would be nice to test those
> out with PostGIS 1.3 series, but of course I can't because it doesn't
> work. Well I haven't tried with 1.4.
>
> Looks like the final commit of 8.4 is going to happen sometime in
> November - I presume late November.
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/PostgreSQL_8.4_Development_Pla
>
> So we really should start testing by December - just before the first
> official beta.
>
> If it is a lot of effort then I guess we should plan for a 1.3.5 since I
> personally probably wouldn't want to jump right to 1.4 and 8.4 at the
> same time on a production server since it is much harder to figure out
> which part went wrong when things go bad.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

I don't think it will take too long, since it's mainly the GiST patch
that needs to be backported. In other words, I don't think it will be
another 8.3. However, it will probably require some scripting changes to
strip the -devel from the PostgreSQL version number, and so if we do
them then it's probably worth another RC / call for testing as scripting
tends to be more fragile on some platforms (e.g. Solaris).

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland