[postgis-devel] PIP short circuits

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Wed Nov 26 11:34:01 PST 2008

As you all know, thanx to Paul and Mark, the short circuiting in PostGIS is now bug free (that we know of :) ) and works
with MultiPolygons.

Unless I'm reading the code base wrong, this logic does not yet include MultiPoints.  Does it make sense to include this
as a todo item?  Is it faster to perform 100 quick PIP tests iterating over the points in a multipoint than it is to
shift to GEOS and execute an actual intersects operation?  Obviously it depends on the number of points in a collection.
  A collection of 2 points would probably benefit using PIP, 2000 points, probably not.  What is the threshold?  No idea.

Next question.  It is worth it?  Do people even use MultiPoints?

Just a thought.
-- Kevin