[postgis-devel] Re: Documentation Geometry Processing

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Wed Oct 1 14:14:36 PDT 2008

I don't recall what we decided ... I don't think it really matter where
it ends up.

Interestingly, DB2 chose to put it in the "Functions that create new
geometries with different space configurations", but that name is a
little long for me :)

http://db2.mi.hdm-stuttgart.de/db2help/help/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.spatial.topics.doc/doc/csbp4196.html

I hear what you're saying ... the function returns a newly constructed
geometry ... thus could be classified as a constructor ... but there are
many other functions that also return a geometry that we didn't put there.

Personally, I think I would keep your Geometry Processing Functions
section with ST_Intersection and add ST_SymDifference, ST_Difference,
ST_Union, ST_Centroid, and ST_PointOnSurface, etc.  :) I just looked at
the 1.3.3 docs ... these are all the functions listed there.. funny.  I
guess the division is somewhat natural after all.

-- Kevin