[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.4 SVN geometry parser hints

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 12:06:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 08:53 -0700, Kevin Neufeld wrote:

> Nice work Mark.  I like it.  That should definitely help with assisting
> newcomers with WKT syntax.

Yeah, I was testing it with some longer geometries and it was a great
help. My main concern is that it is not too clear that the error location
is at the *end* of the quoted string - hence the arrow. And it seems
useful to put a position number in case all of the string doesn't fit in
the quoted context. Paul, this is probably something you'd be good at -
any better ideas?

> Is it possible to put it on other ERROR messages, like "ERROR:  GEOS
> intersects() threw an error!"?  It could suggest they snap to a grid to
> avoid topology errors or perhaps simply a "You found a bug" and provide
> a url to the bug tracker.

Of course :)  If we switch the elog()s over to ereport() then we can add
additional HINTs for whichever messages we like.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland