[postgis-devel] Buffer style naming

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Oct 7 10:39:43 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Paragon Corporation<lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Paul, I assume the geodetic will require disk changes.  Shouldn't we start
> spike for it or something and start putting in the task items if we plan to
> have something by December? Granted I guess things may be chaotic for a
> while if we have 2 trunks unless we can easily isolate the geodetic stuff
> and merge.

I can do geodetic without disk changes by making it a fully parallel
type, at the cost of losing some code sharing in liblwgeom. It may
well be that this is the best thing, and then merge the types onto the
same liblwgeom for 2.0. Although if we avoid the disk change forever,
... there are many things we won't be able to do.

I am going to try and do my work on a spike and merge trunk into my
spike regularly so that I can merge back into trunk when I have
something that "does stuff". Until my hands are really dirty, the best
course of action is not going to be clear to me.

> Though I think you are dreaming if you expect the full blown geodetic and
> stress tested by December.  I look forward to be proved wrong though.

It's only going to have 4 functions :) So hopefully I will prove you wrong.