[postgis-devel] Issue 51 in postgis: Enhancement to ST_Summary to include info about invalid geometries

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Sep 10 13:58:30 PDT 2008

Issue 51: Enhancement to ST_Summary to include info about invalid geometries
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=51

New issue report by robe.... at cityofboston.gov:
Such a function would definitely be nice to see.   Perhaps a
set-returning function that returns the problematic locations (ie. a
geometry collection of the points or lines of intersections) and a brief
text field describing the error (ie. "self-intersecting boundary", "hole
outside polygon", "shared edge in multipolygon", ...)

Add it to the wish list :)

-- Kevin

Obe, Regina wrote:
> For some reason I always expected the summary function or at least have
> an accompanying function that does that would flag the details of
> invalid geometries as part of its inspection and give info similar to
> what ST_Invalid NOTICE gives.  Why I would think such a silly thing is
> beyond me, or maybe such a function exists and I haven't noticed.
>
> Is it a very costly check?  Seems like it would be useful.  The problem
> with the ST_IsValid notice is that it comes at you as one continuous
> stream - so if you have a whole slew of geometries, you have no idea
> which notice goes with what. I got one of those such cases from nowhere
> with 100 of 6000 someodd geometries being invalid and I was hoping to
> generate a report detailing to the provider why there dataset sucks and
> what exactly is wrong with it.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

Issue attributes:
	Owner: robe.... at cityofboston.gov
	Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Low Milestone-1.4