[postgis-devel] autobuild cleanup

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 12:41:20 PDT 2008

> Stable and bad commit, aren't those oxymorons?  Would we ever do such a
> thing?
> 1.3.4 seems pretty stable to me.  But then I guess we should distinguish
> between stable branch vs. stable release.
>
> Yes having a postgis-1.3.4.tar.gz I think would be welcome if it is not
> too much trouble.  I think we commit to it much less often that its
> unlikely to become unstable.  Although I suppose there should be a note
> somewhere saying its not a stable released version (just a stable
> branch).

I strongly disagree with this, because if we make a 1.3.4-named tarball
available, then people will start using it as if it is a new release.
Otherwise we will have people reporting issues against 1.3.4 ("I installed
it from postgis-1.3.4.tar.gz, honest") when in fact it is a SVN
pre-release containing potentially harmful bugs.

On a similar note, I noticed a while back that Paul changed the release
number in Version.config to remove the SVN suffix from REL_MICRO_VERSION.
The reason for this is so that if someone does a "SELECT
postgis_full_version()" then we know if someone is really using the proper
1.3.4 release whenever it appears, rather than a 1.3.4 pre-release.
Therefore if we are going to start encouraging people to use pre-release
versions then we really need to put this back in as it will save us a
whole lot of support heartache further down the road.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland