[postgis-devel] Minimum number of points in a POLYGON ring?

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Mon Sep 22 10:10:29 PDT 2008

What if the two modes of operation were "reject invalid geometries" and
"automatically fix invalid geometries (in ways which are clearly
documented)"? This way we get to assume a standard level of data quality
that is slightly above "unknown", and (if we set rejection as the
default) we make sure that the user knows that we are fixing their data
for them. Also, this seems like it should introduce less of a second
path through the code, only a single "if it's broke, fix it" should be
required.

Or perhaps the ideal system has all three options, including these two
and the "we'll take whatever you got" option. But then we don't get the
nice assumption of a minimum quality level.

Chris