[postgis-devel] SQL comment generation

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 08:37:28 PDT 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:
> Mark,
>> So this suggests that we add your xsltproc command to the
> documentation
>> Makefile as a new target, maybe "make sqlcomments" or similar. Once
> this
>> file has been generated, it would be up to the documentation
> maintainers
>> to commit the new revisions into SVN so that they get pulled in by
>> lwpostgis.sql.in.c. Sound reasonable?
>
> Yap , that was along the lines of what I was thinking.

Okay. It should be reasonably straightforward to add a suitable target
to the Makefile, add a #include to lwpostgis.sql.in.c and commit the
generated .sql file into SVN - want to have a go? If you're unsure about
committing (i.e. it breaks things like regression tests) then send a
local patch to the list and we can work through it together.

One thing I did forget to mention in my previous email regarding your
.xsl file was lack of comments - it doesn't have to be too comprehensive
but a few comments along the lines of "we match the documentation on
these tags and then do ...." would be useful. Oh, and don't forget the
copyright notice either.

> The only side case situation I can think of is with aggregates - recall
> in old installs that have been faithfully upgrading we had that issue
> with new aggregates not being created unless you do a full dump reload.
> I think that still is an issue.  The comment sql part would
> fail since it will never find the ST_ function aggregate parent.  This
> could be a good thing or bad thing however you look at it.
>
> Good in that if you combine into the lwpostgis.sql people with faulty
> installations would certainly know it since their install will fail.
> Bad in that hmm their install will fail.

I think the argument here is that only maintainers should generate the
comments file and commit it to SVN, much in the same way that we
pre-generate the flex and bison output and commit to SVN for people that
can't generate it themselves.

ATB,

Mark.

--