[postgis-devel] 1.3.4?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Sep 29 21:52:46 PDT 2008

I'm still bothered by this. But I'll itemize my concerns

1) ST_Equals IS NOT USED in UNION as I demonstrated in my last email. so fixing that will NOT MAKE any change to the way
UNION behaves.  UNION uses = which is disturbing anyway since it assumes geometries with the same bounding box are equal.

2) We should probably make a note about that somewhere in the docs that UNION (and similarly GROUP BY) does a bounding box grouping/distinct.  Its not as big of a deal when you are throwing attributes in there like a primary key field of a table since those would prevent collapsing by bounding box, but is if you don't and is counter-intuitive.

3) If you change ST_Equals to return false with different SRIDs, then why wouldn't you do the same with all relation boolean operators - what exactly is the difference?  We said operations/relationships between different SRIDS (except for ST_Transform is not supported) - having ST_Equals behave differently is to me an annoying break in pattern and doesn't even solve the issue that raised this whole question.