[postgis-devel] WKT Raster: Back from RT_ to ST_

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Apr 2 17:26:38 PDT 2009

Yap ST_ thingy should have been left for only ISO stuff.  Right now I feel
sort of torn since the damage has already been done; seems like a lot of
effort to correct the wrong.  Maybe we can revisit in 2.0.

I do like the idea of overloading ST for raster though, but I think Paul was
dead set against the idea because it would break OGC compatibility.

I fail to see why it would break OGC compatibility.  To me OGC talks only
about the function signature ST_Intersection(geometry, geometry)

It says nothing about other types what they should do.  So to me
ST_Intersection(geometry,raster) defines something outside the space of what
OGC defines.  It just happens to have the same name. Like if a restaurant
says "No dogs" and you bring in a "horse" is that in violation.  The law
didn't say "no pets".

I mean if we go with that thinking I don't think OGC defines
ST_Union(geometry) aggregate so aren't we already in violation if we have
that thinking.

Thanks,
Regina