[postgis-devel] Compilation using Visual C++ 8.0

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Apr 8 05:06:24 PDT 2009

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>> - I don't see any evidence of building liblwgeom into a static
>>> library. This is needed because not only does the library link
>>> with postgis-1.4.dll, but also with the shapefile loaders. I
>>> think this is also a critical part of the build to get right.
>>
>> See liblwgeom.vcproj which produces liblwgeom.lib
>
> Okay, now I see - sorry I must have skimmed this when I read the
> patch. So I can see that liblwgeom is now built from source, but I
> still can't see invocation of the parser utilities such as flex/bison
>  to generate lex.yy.c/wktparse.tab.c from source.

These files are available in the trunk, so I've not added extra steps.
However, it should be possible to define pre-build step and use
bison/flex from GnuWin32 package.

>>> Also I'd like to see evidence of a clean regression run from an
>>> MSVC build before committing some of this into the repository -
>>> just because it builds doesn't necessarily mean that it works ;)
>>
>> You are right. I've run some of tests I selected randomly, i.e.
>> regress.sql but I have not run full regress package.
>>
>> Just to make things clear, I've prepared the build using Visual C++
>>  as a proof of concept, to show that there is no rocket science
>> necessary to make it working, without using MinGW. However, I'm not
>>  going to pursue to submit it to the official PostGIS tree. I'm
>> also not going to become maintainer of this configuration. I'm only
>>  going to update it if I have a free gap in my time or if I need it
>>  working myself.
>
> Then unfortunately I think this project is probably dead :(

Yes, I'm aware of that :-)

> Since the new build system has been overhauled,

What's the new build system?

> I've pointed out several times that an MSVC build should now be
> relatively easy to do, it just needs someone to support it because
> the MS build tools live in their own little universe away from
> everyone else. I think that the work you've done here is great, but
> it comes back to the core issue that no one is willing to step up and
>  maintain the MSVC build.

Understood.

If time allows, I will post updates on my website. So, if anyone will
be interested in testing/using it, then it's there.

> From a personal perspective, I'm happy with MingW because the
> existing build system just works whether it's on Windows or Linux. I
> can get backtraces if required with gdb, and if I want a debug GUI
> then I can always stretch to Eclipse/CDT.

OK

> There is just no way we can justify forcing developers to maintain
> parts of the MSVC builds which most of them can't even test just for
> the sake of one platform.

Agreed.

Anyways, that was an interesting experience to me and perhaps
somebody will find the results useful too.
Mark, thanks for your time!

Best regards,