[postgis-devel] Small boo boo

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Aug 24 02:57:22 PDT 2009

> I'd always answer YES to "do I ned to run an upgrade script ?"
> The old-days postgis_upgrade.sql did tell you about the need to run the
"hard-upgrade" procedure if it is needed (minor version mismatch) and > used
to be a kind of no-op on an already up-to-date setup.

> --strk;

 See my revised trac item

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/242
Basically I propose to have a real script version instead of what we have
now in configure.ac
which is below

POSTGIS_SCRIPTS_VERSION="$POSTGIS_LIB_VERSION"

My proposal is to go back to when postgis_full_version() had real meaning
about when you really needed to upgrade your scripts or not.

So new model

Do I need to upgrade
Minor to minor upgrade -- since we change the .so and .dll you always need
to do a soft upgrade.  You can't actually tell anymore with the
postgis_full_version() since it will read the old version unless you remove
the old in which case it will just break.

1.3-> 1.4, 1.3->1.5  etc.

Micro to Micro

SELECT postgis_full_version();

says you need to upgrade then you need to run the upgrade script

Major  e. 1.3, 1.4,1.5 -> 2.0 you need to do a hard upgrade.

Does that work for everyone?  In most cases I would expect
postgis_full_version() going from micro to micro not require a soft upgrade,
but this would allow us to do that if we need to.

Thanks,
Regina