[postgis-devel] Versioning and History

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:04:22 PST 2009

Replication in workspace level currently is not possible, since
postgis doest not implement it (or am i missing something?)

If this is desirable, this could be also a chance for us to develop
similar functions that arcgis haves.

I will make later some considerations, and ill post here.

Just got off an airplane and i'm not feeling too happy :P

Later

George

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Ragi Y. Burhum <ragi at burhum.com> wrote:

>> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 05:10:41 -0500
>> From: "Paragon Corporation" <lr at pcorp.us>
>> Subject: Re: [postgis-devel] Versioning and Historyu
>> To: "'PostGIS Development Discussion'"
>>        <postgis-devel at postgis.refractions.net>
>>

>>  Ragi,
>>  >  Hello Regina and thank you so much for joining the conversation. IMHO
>> an
>> application that will not execute edits on an updatable view is an
>> >  application with a bug :)
>>

>> > However, you do have a valid point.
>>
>> > Changing the logic of application to be able to edit rows that don't
>> > have
>> primary keys is probably a crazy request so I will not go there (I am
>> thinking how all the rows in OGR, for example, require an ObjectID).
>>
>> Well its kind of questionable where the bug lies.  The ideal place to fix
>> said bug is in PostgreSQL.  If PostgreSQL had some mechanism in creating a
>> view to denote what the primary key SHOULD be.
>>

> Pushing it lower it is even better. I definitely agree with this.
>

>> Or less desirable for the application (such as what MapServer has -- to
>> allow the user to dictate what the primary key is)
>>

> Another possibility. I like the other approach better for various reasons.
>

>>  >  Think about the alternative of *not* using views. I would always have
>> append _v1 or _v2  or _v3 to my ALL my tables names to get
>> >  the  right    results. It just becomes inconvenient for scripts and
>> > such.
>> An that is the scenario where we are talking about workspace-level
>> >  versioning. If we are talking tables, ugh, I don't even want think
>> > about
>> it - it would be horrible.
>>  But I agree with you leveraging views or inherited tables with rules is
>> probably the best bet.
>>

> - Ragi

George R. C. Silva

Desenvolvimento em GIS