[postgis-devel] iconv

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Dec 15 14:24:50 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 09:53:22AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Sorry if this is a repeat question (I think it is, but):
>
> Why do we depend on iconv in our loader, when we have a perfectly good transcoder on the server? All we have to do is put the correct client_encoding line into the input stream.

IIRC it was to properly deal with escaping of the values.
In UTF8 we know how to escape, thus we use iconv to convert whatever
the input is to UTF8, then feed as properly escaped UTF8 to backend.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!