[postgis-devel] License

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Wed Feb 4 14:03:39 PST 2009

* Obe, Regina (robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov) wrote:
> I'm all for it.  Not that there would be a risk of PostGIS ever losing its
> preferred standing, but its always bothered me that it is not integrated as
> spatial is with other databases. The GPL also confuses the hell out of people
> as to whether they can use it commercially what they have to give back and so forth.

Agreed.

> Though on the down-side could slow things down since I presume that would mean
> we have to be more conscious of our moves relative to PostgreSQL.  Then again we try to be anyway.

Yeah, changes would almost certainly need to be done with the PG release
cycle..  It's possible that patches, etc, could be done seperately, but
if there are serious enough bugs for that, I expect the PG folks would
be willing to put out a point release (or include the change in a point
release), if it's a bug fix.  For new features, it'd need to be through
the PG major versions, of course.  I don't know that putting out a
new-feature patch against something in core would work very well..

	Thanks,

		Stephen