[postgis-devel] License

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Wed Feb 4 18:59:30 PST 2009

* Obe, Regina (robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov) wrote:
> For example I like the fact that we can have both a 1.3 and 1.4 and people can upgrade at their leisure and we don't necessarily have to be in step with PostgreSQL releases.  If we were part of the whole bigger PostgreSQL thing, then I presume this would no longer be possible, which would cause more problems than it solves.

There are downsides for users by having the PostGIS versions seperate
from the PostgreSQL ones..  Primairly, having to deal with the whole
upgrade process when going from PostgreSQL major versions.  It's pretty
much an ugly mess, if you ask me.  Having PostGIS included in core would
simplify that process immensly..

	Stephen