[postgis-devel] License

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Feb 6 01:47:06 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:38:20AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> Personally I'm with Ron M: PostGIS is *more* valuable as a separate
> project, because it's a tough and readily available test case for
> creation of a module system for Postgres.  We like to say that Postgres
> is an extensible system, and what that ought to mean is that you can do
> pretty serious stuff without being part of the core distro.  There are
> some obvious shortcomings there, but I'd rather try to fix them than
> decide that everything interesting must become part of the core.

About fixing the shortcomings, adding hooks to the PGXS makefile
would be nice. For example, listing dependencies for building
the shared library or hooking on the clean rule to trigger custom
(user) rules.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!