[postgis-devel] geometry encoding

Mateusz Loskot Mateusz.Loskot at cadcorp.com
Thu Feb 26 03:36:03 PST 2009

sagar arlekar wrote:
> I want to know the encoding used to store the geometry in postgis 1.3.5 ('the_geom' column in my case)
> I tried to find on net but no doc clearly told whether it is WKB, entendedWKB or hex-encoded extended WKB.

You should not care about format used to *store* geometry in PostGIS.
You should care about OGC format, meaning use AsBinary or AsText functions.
Read this chapter of the manual here, carefully, and you will find section about
"Input/Output of these formats are available using the following interfaces:"

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch04.html#id2789439

--
Mateusz Loskot