[postgis-devel] Ramblings on CUnit and more...

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 14:22:30 PST 2009

Hi folks,

Over the weekend I spent some time looking at the CUnit tests and as a
result have committed some fixes various bits of code to support this.
In particular, I had to rework a lot of the Makefile to pass down the
correct combination of compiler flags into the relevant places. The net
result is that I can now run the CUnit tests under Win32 :)

Paul: I'm quite impressed with CUnit so far - it seems reasonably
intuitive and simple to use. I'd like to suggest that we try and move as
many regression tests as possible from the existing PostgreSQL
regression set into CUnit, mainly because it's easier to keep updated (I
don't have to worry about CR/LFs and obscure psql command lines) but
also because the CUnit tests complete in a blink of an eye compared to
the 10-15mins to run the existing test harness on Win32.

It looks like there are some warnings to do with unused
variables/functions which should be fairly quick to fix but other than
that, it looks good. I do have a minor niggle in that you've included
some LWDEBUG(F) statements at level 1 which is marked as reserved in the
DEBUG document - any chance we could bump them up to 3? The reason that
level 1 is reserved is so that I can quickly use level 1 to debug a
specific area of code without any other output which has been quite
useful in the past.

Regina: Thinking about moving tests to CUnit, I just had a thought: does
you garden-test SQL generator test the spatial operators such as &&?

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland