[postgis-devel] GUI Version 0

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 01:47:00 PST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've committed the first draft of the GUI. I did the autoconf work for
> Linux and OS/X to handle GTK, which is either (a) easy or (b) completely
> impossible. I opted for (a), which imposes a requirement of having
> 'pkg-config' on your system, which most Gnome-enabled systems have.  For
> GTK2/GLIB2 it seems pretty standard, but I look forward to hearing from
> you in MinGw world. Of course, even with that standardization, I needed
> to special case OS/X, since I am using the native GTK build, which does
> *not* include pkg-config.
>
> The GUI is on its own build target 'gui', which is enabled if you
> specify --with-gui and the dependencies are all found.
>
> Paul (making ugly code uglier)

Yeah, a quick glance at the autoconf code shows it needs some work. The
biggest problem is that hard-coding paths in autoconf scripts should be
an absolute no-no for C code, since the shell and the compiler both have
different ideas of where to find things.

According to the documentation, GTK comes with a macro called
AM_PATH_GTK which can be used to find the headers and libraries used for
GTK. I would suggest installing it into the macros/ directory and using
it in configure.ac instead. Chances are that you will find it "just works".

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland