[postgis-devel] Public/Private API, ST_*/_ST_*

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 04:18:53 PST 2009

Obe, Regina wrote:

> On the topic of stuff that shouldn't be exposed.  I always thought the
> geom operators cast to box checks.  So what are these things used for?
> They seem to call different lwgeom functions than the box ones do.
>
> st_geometry_above
> st_geometry_analyze
> st_geometry_below
> st_geometry_cmp
> st_geometry_contain
> st_geometry_contained
> st_geometry_eq
> st_geometry_ge
> st_geometry_gt
> st_geometry_in
> st_geometry_le
> st_geometry_left
> st_geometry_lt
> st_geometry_out
> st_geometry_overabove
> st_geometry_overbelow
> st_geometry_overlap
> st_geometry_overleft
> st_geometry_overright
> st_geometry_recv
> st_geometry_right
> st_geometry_same
> st_geometry_send

Yuck. On first glance I think that all of these are internal functions
related to the geometry types/index opclass and should never be exposed
to the user. I'd suggest changing them to match the underlying C
function names to make finding one from the other much easier.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland