[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.4 upgrade

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jul 8 19:48:37 PDT 2009

I'm not sure if its right or wrong, but always seems to work for me
especially on windows.  This you would have to do if you are upgrading from
a lower version since the upgrade script will not work for anything lower
than 1.3?

What I do
1) Create a fresh database on 8.4 with PostGIS 1.4 installed
2) Restore a 8.3 or 8.2 version 1.3 or lower database into it
(You get errors because the functions already exist and the restore does a
CREATE .. Not a CREATE OR REPLACE)
And the old functions not in the new install don't come back because --
PostgreSQL can't find them unless if you had PostGIS 1.3 installed in your
8.4.

(actually I haven't tried the or lower, but I suspect it woud work).

I know its not a documented way -- so would be interested in what others do.

In the above the only t thing I need to be careful of is the spatial_ref_sys
since that will loose your custom changes unless you delete the table before
restore.

Thanks,
Regina