[postgis-devel] Caching function calls with CTEs

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Jul 17 13:25:08 PDT 2009

Nicklas,

We tried CTEs against that annoying issue of functions not being cached in
the same row.  Preliminary tests seem to suggest it might be the ideal
solution for this.
We suspect it will also be good in many other scenarios where the planner
refuses to use indexes in the right order etc.

http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/127-guid.html

We are going to test with real spatial queries next in preparation for our
OSCON presentation next week.

http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/detail/7859
Sadly it looks like we probably won't have 1.4 out in time for our
presentation  - oh well :(

Anyrate take a look and test with your data to see if it speeds up your
queries.

L & R