[postgis-devel] SRID / Spheroid / Units

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jul 19 01:42:35 PDT 2009

Paul,
Would it be bad to just require GEOGRAPHY data to be in 4326 and assume EPSG
numberings prevail, and throw an error during load if it isn't.  We can even
get fancy later I suppose and autotransform during load if it is in the
wrong spatial ref.

That way you can hard-code the spheroid. Sure people who insist on storing
their data in NAD27 (or some other spatialref) people will be unhappy, but
then again I doubt they make up that much of the population of the people
who want to use GEOGRAPHY.

I figure if you go around changing well known numberings you have serious
problems elsewhere anyway.

Hope that helps,
Regina