[postgis-users] Re: [postgis-devel] Who is still using PostgreSQL8.1?

Devrim GÜNDÜZ devrim at gunduz.org
Sat Jun 6 13:01:52 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 15:52 -0400, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Do they ship other versions or just that?

Just that. RHEL does not update to new major releases during product
lifetime.

>  For my EL5 installs, I just use the Yum repository you set up

Yeah, 2000+ RHEL users do the same :P

> and would encourage others using EL5 to do that since I would never
> think of using PostgreSQL 8.1.

You know, if someone uses a package which is not included in RHEL, Red
Hat won't give support to them.

> We'll still be supporting 1.3 on 8.1 but there is no way we are going
> to keep on supporting 8.1 for another 5 years with newer PostGIS
> releases.

How long will PostGIS team maintain 1.3?

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com