[postgis-users] Re: [postgis-devel] Who is still using PostgreSQL8.1?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Sat Jun 6 14:42:39 PDT 2009

"Paragon Corporation" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:
>> How long will PostGIS team maintain 1.3?

> I don't think we have any plans to drop support for 1.3 any time soon.

As long as you continue to support 1.3, I don't see a reason you can't
say that 1.4 only runs on newer PG releases.  Heck, you could require
PG 8.3 (or even 8.4?) for 1.4 if that would make your lives any easier.
I don't see a reason for users to expect that they should be able to
upgrade to newer PostGIS without updating the underlying database.

The point about RHEL 5 is a complete nonissue here.  If Red Hat were
supporting PostGIS on that (which we aren't) we'd be supporting PostGIS
1.3, or whatever major version was current when RHEL 5 came out.

			regards, tom lane