[postgis-devel] GDAL WKT Raster Driver weekly report #3

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Wed Jun 17 06:41:26 PDT 2009

Hi Jorge,

At first sight there seems to be a confusion between "raster/vector integration in PostGIS" VS "raster/vector integration in GDAL".

When you say "And these new type of GDAL data will be used to perform seamless operations with VECTOR DATA (Geometry type, in OGR-Syntax), from OGR library." and "This new abstract Raster objects will be used together with the OGR Geometry objects in functions like ST_Intersection or ST_Union. " you are mixing what we intend to do in PostGIS and something that does not really exist in GDAL/OGR (except for the GDALPolygonize, GDALContourGenerate and GDALRasterizeLayers methods). Your goal, it seems to me, should not be to care about raster/vector operations in GDAL but just to be able to read WKT Rasters from PostGIS so that GDAL can do whatever is can do with raster. Implementing raster/vector seemless operations over GDAL/OGR is a very interesting and desirable project, but I don't think it is part of this driver project. You should not have to care about OGR at all.

Pierre