[postgis-devel] Specifying end cap and join styles Buffer op

strk strk at keybit.net
Fri Jun 19 14:20:08 PDT 2009

Hi all,
I'm working on exposing end cap and join style control
to the Buffer operation of postgis.

A question for you is: what to do with the 'st_' ?

We currently have multiple versions of Buffer and ST_Buffer
overloaded to accept default arguments.
I'd need to add more arguments (+1, +2, +3) so 3 more SQL
signatures. If we keep maintaining ST and ST-free versions
these will be 6 more SQL functions.

My idea has always been for prefixes to only reflect standard
operations, so similarly to what happens for ST_GeometryType vs.
GeometryType (they return different strings) I'd have ST-free
Buffer allow specifying non-starndard arguments and keep the
ST-full one forbid that (to avoid mismatch if and when the
standard will allow for controlling end-cap and join stiles
and what else [mitre limit]).

Please give me advice on how to proceed as I suspect my idea
isn't very popular nowadays :)

If you're into the ST just let me know and I'll do the ST version
only and let alone the ST-free, or vote for both and I'll add all 6
new functions.

Thanks in advance.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!