[postgis-devel] Documenting new ST_Buffer

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jun 25 21:07:45 PDT 2009

Strk,

 One problem I noticed is you don't have the Availability part in place.

Take a look at the Union one

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_Union.html

There should be an Availability: 1.5.0 ... And detail of what was added.

Once you do that and I've modified the xsl script for the special sections,
it will put this function in the What's new in 1.5  (I'll probably get to
modifying the xsl script sometime tomorrow, but would be good if this were
in so I can verify it is working).  It will appear here with the
availability description details.

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch08.html#NewFunctio
ns

Other issue -- you should probably update the short-description since
ST_buffer now does more than simple buffering. The short description is what
appears on the index page
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ch07.html#Geometry_P
rocessing

and is what gets put in the postgis_comments.sql

Other issue: The fact that ST_Buffer for some cases has a requirement for
GEOS 3.2 poses a small documentation problem.  Not a big one in this case
since we will still have all the signatures in place.  But it does bring up
the question that since our flag for GEOS 3.2 is for the overall function
(not each individual signature), how would we account for this in terms of
sql comments generation etc (which I haven't done yet - sql comments just
picks all up regardless of GEOS version)

Thanks,
Regina