[postgis-devel] PostGIS 1.4 RC1 vote

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 13:07:31 PDT 2009

Paragon Corporation wrote:

> I really think the 212 can wait.  Its something that isn't even documented.
> That can really wait till 1.4.1.  Remember we have a 1.4.1 and this would be
> a bug fix so can fit nicely in there.

So you're saying that even though we now claim to support compound
curves within curved polygons, we should put a release that can't even
store and retrieve one of these geometries?! I'm not asking for us to
100% proof check everything for 1.4.0, but as a bare minimum we must be
able to support storage and retrieval of the basic geometry.

> I feel kind of the same about 210 (since I'm pretty sure we've had this
> problem for a really long time -- it might have been a change in PostgreSQL
> or something else that makes this more apparent thought).  Though 210 is
> more of a serious issue since it does cause crashes under unpredicatable
> circumstances especially in 64-bit.

Both of these of errors are caused by bad memory accesses (I know,
because I spent a lot of time fixing these in 1.3.6 as a result of the
torture test results). Just because the bad access doesn't manage to
crash on your particular platform/architecture on that particular
attempt, doesn't mean it will be harmless on another combination of
platform/architecture or won't fail at random points later within a
longer transaction.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS