[postgis-devel] WKTRaster:WhyhavingtocompilePostgreSQL&PostGISfirst?

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Wed Mar 4 06:55:47 PST 2009

He!

I'm happy to say that today, march 4th 2009, I have a PostgreSQL/PostGIS
compiled by myself running on Windows XP! Today is a nice day! (Not like
yestesday :-()

I can now give a try at compiling WKT Raster.

Please never, ho never say again on this mailing list that:

1) You don't have to compile PostgreSQL. You DO have to compile
PostgreSQL in order to compile PostGIS. PostGIS makefiles are highly
dependent on lots of stuff PostgreSQL makes when building that are not
provided in the PostgreSQL installation. Luckily we don't have to
compile Linux to compile PostgreSQL... And to compile ArcGIS to compile
our own ArcGIS Python script...

2) That it takes 20 minutes. The setup is very different on Windows. All
this is a Linux thing and you have to do a lot trial and error to get it
to work on Windows. Took me three days (and two nights).

I promess I will write a compilation procedure if I can convince PostGIS
people to migrate the PostGIS wiki from a 90's wiki to a new millenium
wiki.

Pierre