[postgis-devel]WKTRaster:WhyhavingtocompilePostgreSQL&PostGISfirst?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 02:20:01 PST 2009

Mateusz Loskot wrote:

>> Well as part of the rebuilding of the PostGIS build system, I made a
>> conscious effort to write it in a way that would make compilation under
>> MSVC possible. As a result, all of the logic has been moved from the
>> Makefiles into autotools which generates postgis_config.h. So if you can
>> come up with a suitable file for MSVC, you should just be left with
>> standard MSVC compatibility issues.
>
> Is your work available anywhere? In SVN?

Absolutely; all the work has been in done in SVN trunk. I think Charlie
Savage was the last person to attempt an MSVC build, and I tidied up and
applied his main MSVC compilation patch. IIRC the only remaining issues
were that MSVC was missing stdint.h and a couple of maths functions, but
I haven't looked at this for a while. There were no showstoppers as far
as I could see though.

>> Several people have expressed interest in helping add MSVC support, but
>> no-one has yet stepped up to both i) do the work and ii) continue
>> maintenance of the MSVC port. Until this happens then I doubt that we
>> will switch.
>
> I'd like to take a look at the stuff you've developed for this.

Sure. As I mentioned before, if you're interested in getting MSVC builds
up and running then I'm happy to review and apply patches to help you.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk