[postgis-devel] RASTER_COLUMNS Table Spec

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 10 11:47:01 PDT 2009

Folks,

I have made a preliminary effort at writing up the definition
of the RASTER_COLUMNS metadata table in the wiki:  It
is very near the bottom of the very long spec page:

  http://www.cef-cfr.ca/index.php?n=Membres.PierreRacineWKTRasterSpecifications

I would appreciate feedback and adjustments.

For me (and perhaps by implication Cadcorp), it is quite
important to be able treat some tables as "regular raster
datasets" in the traditional raster file sense.  Having
a particular number of pixels and lines, with the tiles
in the database being uniform, non-overlapping and
abutting and with an origin at the top left corner.

This support table makes that practical, while offering
lots of flexability for folks who want something less
restrictive (by setting regular_blocking to false, or not
even registering a column in the RASTER_COLUMNS
table.

Best regards,