[postgis-devel] Re: PostGIS infrastructure

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 10:51:53 PDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I ran the idea past osgeo, and they'll have us, though they would
> prefer if we signalled an intent to enter incubation as an osgeo
> project at the same time. Becoming an osgeo project is basically in
> line with our thoughts about having some actual procedures for project
> management, and adds an extra task around reviewing our intellectual
> property and copyright situation (which would be healthy (since we
> have some license conflicts in our code base)).
>
> See the principles of incubation for an idea of what we'd be signing
> up for: http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/principles.html
>
> If we go that way, we can move as much or as little as we want. SVN is
> on the table now. To that I'd add the bug tracker. I even volunteer to
> figure out how to extract our data from Goog to import into trac.
> Having a real trac/svn instance would be awsome. Moving mailing lists
> is also possible if you want to do that too (and should be pretty
> trivial, since osgeo uses mailman too).
>
> P.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I'd say an integrated SVN/Bug Tracker in the form of Trac should be
the minimum we should aim for. I guess moving the mailing lists could be
a plan to help out Kevin too, although if we do this it is essential to
preserve the contents of the existing Mailman archives - there's some
great stuff in there that probably isn't in the wiki/code comments.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk