[postgis-devel] RE: WKTRaster news from the Toronto CodeSprint?

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Fri Mar 13 13:15:57 PDT 2009

> What is your concern about making these views?  Honestly, in the worst
> case we'd have to do something like have a side-table that just creates
> an ID for each new set of options given with the parameters similar to
> the current tables and then have the view based on that.  At least for
> users it would still be transparent since you can tailor the
> input/output for the typmod to be something like:
>
> mycolumn    geometry(4269,'POINT',2)
>
> or whatever.

The side table seems like the only way to reliably fit all of our type
information into the 31 bits of typmod. It works as long as there are no
more than 2 billion differently-defined geometry columns, which I think
is an acceptable limitation. But where does this side-table end up
living? Isn't it just going to have the same problems as the
geometry_columns table?

Chris