[postgis-devel] Q3C

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Mar 18 14:41:27 PDT 2009

I reviewed Q3C this afternoon, and it's not the answer for geodetic
support. It seems to be written to index points only, and it has a
god-awful custom query syntax to hide the implementation details of
using the octo-tree implementation it is based on. The old pg_sphere
code is much closer to (in fact, is exactly) what we need, as it
supports multiple types, not just points, and ordinary PgSQL SQL
constructions.

I'm having a grand time thinking about what the appropriate return
value of geography::geometry is :)

P.