[postgis-devel] Re: Q3C

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Mar 18 15:31:41 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at opengeo.org> wrote:
> I'm having a grand time thinking about what the appropriate return
> value of geography::geometry is :)

My current thought is an automagical planar projection into an
appropriate UTM zone or polar stereographic system, based on the
centroid of the feature. With the extra complication of first looking
into the projection cache to see what the last projection used was,
and if it's close enough, using that. Hopefully that way, in the case
of st_function(geog1, geog2) the two arguments would be both cast into
the same plane. This would magically allow the geography module to
make use of all the geometry functions, and only break for really
large objects that exceed our chosen planar areas.

P.