[postgis-devel] PostGIS installer under Vista

Waddell, Dave FOR:EX Dave.Waddell at gov.bc.ca
Thu May 21 11:53:07 PDT 2009

We are getting set to migrate 20 PostgreSQL/PostGIS users from XP to
Vista.  In order to install any software on gov't vista computers we
have to build "approved packages" to do the install.  This sometimes
means changing installation settings and adapting an installion to get
around admin issues that we can't control.

I'm having trouble installing PostGIS 1.3.5 on a locked down BC gov't
vista computer (restricted admin privileges).

The installer fails at the create template database step, but seems to
have copied files to:
	C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin   etc.

I'm running the postgis_1_3_5_pg83.exe (as downloaded from the
application stack builder) with only PostGIS selected for install.

The original install of PostgreSQL 8.3 has to be run as administrator
and can't initialize the data directory (initdb), so I'm trying to just
get the software (both PostgreSQl and PostGIS) installed and then let a
local user create the data directory and initialize the databases.

In looking at the failed installation, it seems that a number of files
have been copied over to the PostgreSQL directory.  Does the installer
do anything "special" besides copying files to:

         C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin
                 some.dlls
         C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\jdbc
                 some.jar
         C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\lib
                 some.dlls
         C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\share\contrib
                 some.sqls
         C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\share\contrib\postgis
                 proj
                 topology
                 utils

 Then create registry entries for

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostGIS\1.3.5\PostgreSQl8.3
                 (default)
                 Version

In other words can I simply copy the PostGis files over by hand (to an
existing PostgreSQL install) and then add the 2 registry entries.

My other option is to modify the installer to prevent it from trying to
create the template database.

It would be nice to have a checkbox in the installer that lets you delay
the cration of the template database.

Thanks!

Dave Waddell
BC Ministry of Forests