[postgis-devel] Compiling PostGIS against PostgreSQL 8.4

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 11:12:51 PST 2009

Hello,

I've recently updated from Postgresql 8.3 to 8.4, due to an update on
Ubuntu (from 9.04 to 9.10). When trying to create new spatial
databases, by executing postgis.sql, I get an error because
LWGEOM_samebox is not found in library object. The problem is
postgis.sql is looking for this function in the old library object,
this is /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/lib/postgis-1.5.so, instead on
/usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/lib/postgis-1.5.so

When I run ./configure, I get 8.4 as PostgreSQL version, but I don't
know how to avoid the linking against the old library object.

How should I do it?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Jorge